Our aim is to produce food of the highest quality, whilst prioritising the protection and enhancement of the environment.
We are a family business which has been growing since 1958, when Sir Thomas Ferens first purchased Sunderlandwick Estate. Our valued team help us to care for and nurture the environment, in order to produce food that is safe, traceable and of the highest quality.
We farm a mixed rotation of arable crops, and on our traditional pastures and park-land raise a suckler herd of cattle, including our prize-winning Pedigree South Devons.
The Sunderlandwick Estate Farm Shop and Butcher is our latest business venture. The shop was purchased from the Hopper family in September 2010 and we are delighted to be able to offer a wide range of local meats, including our own home-reared beef, groceries, bakery and deli products.
We are home to the prestigious Driffield Anglers Club, established in 1833. Members fish the Driffield Beck, one of the premier chalk stream fly-fishing rivers in the UK.
The acclaimed 18-hole Driffield Golf Club, founded in 1923, is also located on the Sunderlandwick Estate. The trout stream runs through the course, which is surrounded by tranquil pastures.
The Estate has a wide variety of attractive residential properties to let, varying in size from 2-bedroom to 5-bedroom.
Archaeological proof of settlement at Sunderlandwick, in the form of a burial mound, extends back to the Bronze Age.
There is also evidence of Anglo-Saxon settlement and Sunderlandwick (Sundrelanduuic) is subsequently mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086. The tax was assessed at 3 gelds.
English Heritage have recognised the importance of the abandoned medieval village and Howe Hill is now a scheduled monument. The well-preserved landscape still displays the outline of the village structure, including roads, house plots and gardens.
Latterly the Horner and Reynard families were stewards of the estate, building the Old Sunderlandwick Hall, Courtyard and traditional farm buildings.
Unfortunately the Old Hall was destroyed in a fire at the end of the Second World War. When Sir Thomas Ferens bought the Estate he commissioned architect Francis Johnson CBE to build a new house on the same site to blend in with the original Courtyard building.